You always want your caliper to be precise, especially when you’re reloading. With hundreds of options around, it’s easy to get confused. We’re here to help. We’ve already spent the time you would have judging numerous options before getting a caliper.
Regardless of what you measure using your caliper, you want the accurate reloading digital caliper from the market in 2023. So, let’s find out how you can determine the most suitable option for you. But first, as a machinist, we have some specific recommendations for you.
If you are in a hurry, we’ll make it quicker and suggest the best overall from our list. Give this Adoric Digital Caliper a try if you value preciseness and accuracy over everything. We’re certain that it’ll live up to your expectations.
For those who want details, we recommend going through all five products on our list. Once you read the details, you’ll know why and which one is more suitable for your personal needs.
Best Digital Caliper for Reloading Reviews 2023
If you’ve been wandering around aimlessly to find the best calipers for reloading, take a break. As we said, we’ve got it covered for you. Let’s start with the star of our list, Adoric Digital Caliper.
Are you a printer mechanic? Then You should read our review and buying guide about 3D printing Digital Caliper is for you.Best Digital Caliper For 3D Printing.
Adoric Digital Caliper for Accurate Measurements
The reasons for selecting this caliper as our best one aren’t limited to a few. What does anybody value over everything when selecting a caliper? The answer is obvious- accuracy. Well, with this digital caliper, your measurement chores become easy, as well as accurate.
So, let’s not wait any longer before getting introduced to one of the best digital calipers for reloading.
Technical Details of Adoric Digital Caliper
- Range: 0-200mm/ 8”.
- Accuracy Rate: ±0.001”.
- Material Type: Stainless steel.
- Color Combination: Black and red.
- Package Includes A digital caliper with box, 2 button cells, and a user manual.
My Experiment and Testing on Adoric Digital Caliper
- Premium-Grade Material: Let’s start with the material you’re getting. You can expect your caliper to be wear-resistant, water-resistant, and dust-resistant if you’re getting this one. It’s made of stainless steel with a zinc alloy coating. Stainless steel also ensures that the caliper moves smoothly without any rough operation.
- Four Ways of Measurement: You can measure the internal and external diameters using this digital caliper. In addition, you can also take measurements of depth and step. By following the instruction manual, you won’t have any difficulties using this device.
- Three Units of Measurement: You can switch among inches, mm, and fractions. However, that’s not all. What’ll strike you most is how convenient the switching method is. Because the caliper is digital, you can convert between units with a click of a button.
- Comes With Batteries: You’re getting two batteries with the caliper. Not that you need both of them to operate the device. You’ll only need one. This way, you can keep the extra one as a spare if the first one runs out.
- Energy-Saving Design: Another feature we must mention is the auto-off feature. If you’re not using the device for 5 seconds, it’ll automatically turn itself off. This way, the device ensures that the battery runs longer, saving energy and, of course, your money.
- Affordable: One of the most attractive features of this caliper is its affordability. There are expensive calipers that offer the same basic features as this one. So, why not go for the more affordable option?
- Wear-resistant, dust-resistant, and waterproof.
- Conversion among three units of measurement with one click.
- Turns off automatically if not used for five seconds.
- You can measure internal diameter, external diameter, depth, and step.
- The battery lid could have been placed better.
According to our research and analysis, this Adoric digital caliper provides more accurate data than others within this budget range. So, if you want proper measurements, then it will be your go-to tool. To know more details about this digital caliper, click here.
Mitutoyo 500-197-30 Digital Caliper with Onsite Sensor
Moving on to our next caliper, the Mitutoyo 500-197-30 Digital Caliper. There are a few advanced features you’ll get if you choose this brand. If your budget for a caliper is on the higher end, this is one of the best options we would recommend you to go for.
Without intriguing with ambiguous lines anymore, let’s see what this caliper has to offer.
Top Technical Aspects of Mitutoyo 500-197-30 Digital Caliper
- Range: 0-200mm, 8”.
- Accuracy Rate: ±.001”.
- Net Weight: 7.1 ounces.
- Resolution: .0005”.
- Package Includes: Caliper with protective casing and silver oxide battery
LAB Test and Measurement Experiment on Mitutoyo Caliper
- Ergonomic: You want a caliper that’s comfortable in your hand. This one from Mitutoyo makes sure that you don’t feel any discomfort while handling this device. That’s the first thing you’ll notice about this caliper. It’s ergonomic and friendly to your thumb.
- Display: A easy-to-read display is everyone’s desire in a device like a caliper. If a measuring tool doesn’t have a proper display, what’s the point? Mitutoyo 8-inch caliper features 9mm font sizes in its high-contrast LCD. So, don’t have any doubts about the display.
- Silver Oxide Battery: You will be certain of the caliper’s authenticity by looking at its battery. Silver oxide batteries are expensive. And this caliper accompanies a battery that’s required to run the device. However, you’ll need to install the battery because it’s not set inside the battery compartment.
- AOS: The caliper features Advanced Onsite Sensor. It’s an electromagnetic sensor that makes the device resistant to water, dust, and oil.
- Versatile: First of all, you can measure depth, step, and internal & external diameters using this device. Secondly, the jaws are carbide-tipped, which makes the caliper suitable for even rough workpieces. Lastly, you can change between inches or metric units for your convenience.
- Comes with a case and silver-oxide battery.
- Oil, water, and dirt resistant.
- Ergonomic shape for convenience.
- Suitable for rough workpieces.
- Comparatively an expensive option
When it comes to choosing a perfect digital caliper for reloading, this one from Mitutoyo 8-inch digital caliper is the one you need. It can be your regular companion. You can find out more about this digital caliper by clicking here.
Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Advanced Digital Caliper
Mitutoyo offers another model like the previous one with a few cutbacks. This one is more suitable for you if you’re tight on budget but want a high-quality caliper for reloading. Whereas the previous model we discussed comes with an 8” range, this one comes with a 6” range.
Let’s see what else you can get with this model from Mitutoyo.
Technical Specifications of Mitutoyo Advanced Digital Caliper
- Range: 0-150mm/ 6”.
- Material Type: Stainless steel.
- Net Weight: 6 ounces.
- Accuracy Level: ±.001”.
- Package Includes: Caliper with a protective case and silver oxide battery
LAB Experiment and Analysis of Mitutoyo Caliper
- What It Comes With: The caliper will accompany a battery. The SR44 battery is made of silver oxide, and it doesn’t come installed. So, you’ll have to do that yourself. The device also comes with a protective case to store it when not used.
- LCD Readout: The display on the Mitutoyo caliper is very convenient to read. Besides, there’s a hold option. So, even if you’ve removed the object you were measuring, you can take note of the measurement.
- Advanced Onsite Sensor: Much like the model we discussed previously, this one also comes with an advanced onsite sensor. The function of this feature is to make the caliper oil, water, and dust resistant. So, no matter where you decide to set your workshop, you can always rely on your device to offer you accuracy.
- Zero Key: One complaint many people have when using a caliper is recalibrating. If you want to move past this, there can’t be a better option than this one from Mitutoyo. This device has a zero key that restores it to the origin point without any complexity.
- Comes with a case and a silver oxide battery.
- Easy-to-read LCD with a hold system.
- Resistant to dirt, oil, and water.
- Reset to the origin point with the zero key.
- Does not have an auto-shutoff system.
If you want to use a highly functional caliper in your workplace then it’s non-other than Mitutoyo Advanced Digital Caliper. Let’s give it a try and share your experience with us. You can easily find it here, check it.
Hornady Digital Caliper for Beginners Use 2023
Another suitable option for reloading that you can go for is the Hornady Digital Caliper. It’s one of the most affordable options on our list. Besides, we found the features quite reasonable compared to the price. So, let’s see some specs.
Technical Details of Hornady Caliper
- Range: 0-160mm/ 6”.
- Material Type: Stainless steel.
- Accuracy Rate: ±.001”.
- Display: LCD.
- Package Includes Caliper with box and a 1.55 V silver oxide battery.
Key Findings and Important Features of Hornady Digital Caliper
- Easy Operation: No one wants to go through any hassles when reloading. Using a Hornady caliper will make your process a lot more convenient with its easy-to-use operation. Zero your device and change between units with one click of a button.
- Most Suitable For Reloading: Make sure you get precise measurements when reloading. This caliper offers an accuracy of 0.001” that you can rely upon without any doubt. Besides, if you wish to take the caliper with you, it comes with a case to keep it stored when not in use.
You can measure bullet lengths, primer pocket depth, inside and outside diameter, and cartridge length using this caliper.
- LCD Screen: Measure anything you want and take notes from the large LCD screen of your caliper. The display also features an auto-shut option to make sure that you’re not wasting battery life.
- Affordable Price: One of the essential features of this caliper is how affordable the device is. When you don’t want to spend a fortune on a caliper for reloading, consider this one within an affordable price range.
- Durable stainless steel material for longevity.
- Comes in an affordable price range.
- Easy to use functions.
- The auto-shut function saves energy.
- The slider is a bit rough.
No matter how technically sound you are, you will be able to easily operate this Hornady Digital Caliper and perform measurements with it. It will become a valuable assistant in your work. Click here to grab it.
Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper for Versatile Work
The most affordable option on our list is the one from Frankford Arsenal. But you won’t have to worry about the device’s quality or accuracy. Even though you won’t get fancy features, you can trust this brand with your eyes closed when it comes to precise measurements.
Technical Analysis & Key Specifications of Frankford Caliper 2023
- Range Between: 0-6”.
- Net Weight: 10.58 ounces.
- Material Type: Hardened steel.
- Accuracy Rate: ±.001”.
- The package includes Caliper with a protective case.
An Overview and Top Features of Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper
- Durable Material: One thing you will notice when getting a caliper is that affordable calipers feature plastic as their material. This one from Frankford Arsenal is comparatively unique to others. It features steel construction for smooth operation, accuracy, and durability.
- Reasonably Priced: Not everyone prefers expensive and fancy digital calipers. If you’re tight on budget, you can always rely on this brand as this caliper comes comfortably within budget.
- Accurate And Versatile: The caliper offers a decent accuracy level suitable for reloading. Besides, you can measure multiple areas using this caliper, which makes it versatile. The device doesn’t have to be limited in reloading.
- LCD Display: Like most other expensive calipers, this one also comes with an easy-to-read, large LCD. Even though you’re getting it at a competitive price range, the features you’re getting remain the same.
- Most suitable for reloading with 0.001’ accuracy.
- Durable hardened steel material.
- Affordable price range.
- LCD for convenient measurement.
- The case is flimsy.
Buying Guide of Digital Caliper for Reloading 2023
Now, for the buying guide. We want you to walk through the things you can use to determine how a caliper becomes the best one explicitly for reloading. Keep the following things in mind when judging a caliper, and you should get your one in no time.
When you’re getting a digital caliper, you want to avoid plastic. Stainless steel is the most suitable material for a caliper. Not only because it’s durable and robust, but also because it’s convenient and smooth to operate.
If the caliper doesn’t run smoothly or feels rough, measurement becomes an annoying thing to do. So, if you want your caliper to last a reasonable amount of time, we recommend choosing a steel caliper.
Calipers come in all sizes. So, what size is suitable specifically for reloading? If you intend to use the calipers explicitly for reloading, a device that can measure up to six inches is enough. However, with a few more bucks added to the budget, you can go for a caliper that can measure up to eight inches.
Units of Measurements
Some calipers only support imperial units, whereas some support metrics. The good news is that most digital calipers nowadays can offer you both of these units of measurement.
However, make sure that the device can function accurately in both these units. Sometimes calipers can lose their accuracy when you frequently switch from one unit to another.
Check for the caliper’s description, whether it features a locking screw or not. A locking screw will allow you to lock the measurement. This way, you can note down a measurement even if you slip your hand and remove the object from the caliper.
No matter what you’re measuring, you want it to be precise. The accuracy level should be as low as 0.001” if you want precise measurements. The lower the accuracy rating of a caliper, the more accurate it is.
You’ll notice that not all calipers can measure step and depth. Some of them are limited to internal and external diameters. We recommend you go for a caliper that can measure depth and step, too, especially if you’re getting one for reloading.
Price is always a determinant factor when getting anything. You can get easily confused while getting a caliper because they come in all price ranges. So, which one should you go for?
Naturally, the higher your budget, the better quality you’ll get. But that’s not always the case. Some calipers are insanely expensive yet disappointing when it comes to durability. So, whether you’re going for an affordable option or an expensive one, make sure you’re purchasing an authentic product.
Try to get a caliper that’s waterproof and dust-proof. Besides that, the caliper should come with a protective case and a battery. Some will even offer you a spare battery with the package.
Difference Between Digital vs Dial Calipers for Reloading: Know the Best One for 2023
Many people get confused about whether they should get a dial caliper or a digital caliper for reloading. While it completely depends on the user’s comfort, we would like to point out some features of both types of calipers to make the decision easy for you.
All About Digital Calipers for Reloading
- Digital calipers feature an easy-to-read display and run on batteries.
- They are more accurate compared to dial calipers.
- You can lock the measurement you took. So, even if your hand slips and the object falls, the measurement stays locked.
- Digital calipers also allow you to switch between units of measurement.
- A copper plate under the display of a digital caliper features specific grooves. If these grooves get damaged, you won’t get precise readings using the caliper.
Details of Dial Calipers for Reloading
- Dial calipers run on a rack and pinion system. The device features gears inside it that measure the objects.
- If you drop your caliper, the alignments can get messed up.
- Dial calipers don’t require batteries to run.
6 Easy Tips for Using Digital Calipers for Reloading (The Ultimate Guide 2023)
If you’re a beginner and haven’t used a digital caliper for reloading before, read through the instructions for an overall understanding.
- First, you’ll have to monitor the caliper’s jaws. Bring them together, so they stay close. Look for any light passing through. If there is, you need to clean the jaws before using them.
- Make sure that all your ammunition has been cleaned thoroughly before measurement. Anything remaining on them may alter the findings.
- The outer jaw area is for measuring bullet lengths and diameters.
- The inner jaw area is for gaps and holes.
- Tightening the lock screw will prevent the jaws from wobbling and get a better grip on the object you’re measuring.
- Note the measurement that appears on display.
Frequently Asked Questions on “Digital Caliper for Reloading” that People Want to Know: FAQs
What is the best brand of caliper?
There are plenty of popular brands that offer high-quality calipers. We recommend the brand Adoric. Considering every aspect, including affordability, this is something everyone should take a look at. Another popular brand is Mitutoyo. However, they offer calipers that are comparatively more expensive than others. Depending on your budget, the best brand will vary.
How accurate do calipers need to be for reloading?
The accuracy level is a lot up to your comfort. Some people don’t mind a higher accuracy rating. However, some are more uptight about it. We recommend a caliper with a ±.001” accuracy level for the best and most precise result.
Are digital calipers the most accurate?
Digital calipers can offer you measurements as accurate as ±.001”. In addition, they come with an easy-to-read display, run on battery, and you can hold the measurement even after removing the object from the caliper.
There you have it. This useful guide on all the best digital calipers for reloading is summarized in one article for 2023. If you don’t mind increasing your budget, we recommend the caliper from Mitutoyo. However, for a more affordable option, everyone will agree that the best one to go for is the one from Adoric.
Regardless of which one you go for, your purchase decision should be fine as long as you stick to our buying guide.